Monday, March 1, 2010

Blocked hat and gulp - knitting socks...

The hat is blocked and finished. I wore it out today and just loved the drapey-ness that the wool took on after blocking. I was almost upset with the sort of stiff way it was laying against my head, but a cold water dunk and a night stretched over a balloon, and wonders never cease. Now to finish typing out the pattern. I hope I can figure out my chicken scratches.

Also finishing up work on the Tatiana Sweater from Interweave Crochet. I'm working on the ribbing for the sleeves and bottom hem. I just have to sew them on and weave in my ends(blech!) and sew on some buttons. YAY!

I went to Joann's on Saturday with kids in tow and was lured by the "Buy One Get One Half Price" Sale they were having on sock yarn. So I bought two skeins of Red Heart Heart and Sole in the Razzle Dazzle colorway and a set of number 2 DPN's (double pointed needles) and have the top of a sock underway. Knitting in the round on DPN's is proving to be just the challenge these nimble little fingers were looking for, but the cast on nearly pushed me over the edge. That finished I've been merrily knitting away in 2x2 ribbing. I'll be happy with the next stage, but after that comes "dividing for the heel flap" or some such eerie lingo and that scares the bajeebies outta me. But, I must have something to challenge my brain, or it will just turn to mush.

I think that's what I like about the crochet/knitting arts. Just when you thought you've got everything down pat, you turn the page and discover something new. Like my fascination with hairpin lace this past summer. I had inherited this contraption from my husband's great grandmother upon her passing and I had no NO idea what it could be. Fast forward to an episode of Knit and Crochet Today where they are featuring Hairpin Lace. Cut to my face filled with awe and wonderment, "So THAT's what that thing is for?" Three scarves later, I've got the logistics down and went back to the regularly scheduled program of crochet, but I have a project filed away in my head. With new techniques or patterns to challenge every skill degree, you can never get bored with it. Which is my trouble with so much stuff. I become enamored until I've sufficiently conquered it and then I must find a new gijamawatsit to hold my attention. So far, I've not become bored. I don't think I'll ever be. I still have a loooooooong way to go before I'm ever as good as I want to be at knitting, and then there's spinning and dying and all that comes with that, and never enough hours in the day to devote to this craft that has lured me in so subtly......

help??

No comments:

Post a Comment